Tuesday, August 30, 2011

$8.00 sippee cups! and Mom thoughts

Really Barnes? You need an $8 dollar sippee cup? So, getting Barnes to drink out of a sippee cup hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be. We have found one but that is the ONLY one that he will drink out of.

For those of you who don't know I read about EVERYTHING when it comes to my baby. When to do what and how to do it?? I have read several books that I consult and usually make a phone call to the pediatrician, talk to the daycare ladies, and consult another mom. I know! It is CRAZY!!! I admit - I get obsessed! But I am terrified of "bad habits" - I am determined that I will not be the cause. Therefore, as stated specifically in the book What to Expect the First Year, I introduced a regular cup first. I thought it made since so that is what I did. I didn't talk with daycare who of course doesn't allow regular cups. So Barnes easily drank out of a regular cup before he finally mastered the sipppee cup.

So, I also do not let Barnes drink juice. People think I am crazy! Okay so some of these people do not have kids and aren't what I would call the most healthy. My thought process I feel is not flawed. I once heard a mother say that her daughter would only drink juice and not milk out of a sippee cup. So, I talked with several moms and the pediatrician who have said he doesn't need juice. He gets plenty of fruit and drinks water. So, I have decided not to introduce juice until we have successfully transitioned to drinking milk (or soy milk) out of sippee cup.

Somehow there are certain things that I retain and never forget. I once heard a mom say that she swears by The Baby Whisper...so I looked into it. I have used the book alot while consulting other books and the pediatrician. I feel like it is such a great balance between other books that I have heard about. Now, I know that there are so many parents who swear by Baby Wise but from some of the reviews I read it seemed a little harsh. I never let Barnes cry it out - never had to! I still just lay him down and he goes to sleep on his own.

1 comment:

amyoconnor said...

Hey Katherine, I am the SAME way-very well educated:)
I havecread pretty much everything, or so I thought-haven't heard of baby whisperer? I can't wait to get it, thanks!!